Top 11 Appropriate Gift Ideas for Your Boss
Giving someone a gift is a great way to show your appreciation. When we were in elementary school, giving our teachers a gift at the end of the school year was the norm.
After all, they had spent the whole year teaching us. Not only was it a nice thought, but it showed them that you enjoyed being taught by them, and you appreciated their hard work. In this scenario, a simple gift basket or chocolates usually goes down a treat.
Fast forward to today, and it is our boss we are looking to get a gift for. While it is clearly different to school, the sentiment is still the same: you want to show your appreciation for their support, either in general or for something specific. But what gift do you get them?
This article will hopefully give you some great ideas for a gift for your boss – including some unique ones.
Why Might You Get Your Boss a Gift?
There are many scenarios that could prompt you to get your boss something, including:
- When you have received a promotion – You may have just had a raise, but the deciding factor was down to your boss. They provided you with motivation to go for the position in the first place and fought your corner. This warrants a token of appreciation.
- When they have mentored you – Picture this: you are new to the business and the industry, and need a helping hand guiding you along in your position. Your boss has mentored you from the beginning of your career. They deserve a treat.
- When they have helped you with a task – If you have had a tricky account, or a task you have had to complete, and needed the assistance of your boss, this could be a great moment to get them something to say thank you. This shows them that you appreciate their expertise.
You might even find yourself in a situation where you just feel grateful for the helpful environment your boss has created.
Any Old Gift Vs the Right Gift
But what do you get your boss? What is an appropriate gift?
If you are planning on getting them something special, it is key you do your homework on the person before you get a gift. After all, there might be something very specific and well-thought out you could buy.
Getting any gift for someone is a thoughtful gesture, but it is a good idea to spend time finding something more specific when it comes to choosing a present for your boss.
Not only will it give them the impression that you have made an effort, but it is something they will remember. For example, you don’t want to get your boss a bottle of Scotch if they do not drink alcohol.
Or, your boss has helped you achieve a promotion in your department – you want to get them something special, so you buy a box of chocolates. They open the present and remind you that they are diabetic, so cannot eat a lot of sugar.
And while the situation is not the end of the world, it will mean the gift cannot be eaten.
Instead, speak to someone who might know your boss better – perhaps a colleague who has socialized with them outside of work and knows what they enjoy. Do they enjoy playing golf, for example? Or do they like sugar-free cakes, maybe? This shows you have done your homework.
If you and your boss are friends, this doesn’t mean you should get them a gift that might be classed as inappropriate. For instance, you might think that getting your boss a racy calendar at Christmas will make them laugh. However, they might feel uncomfortable opening such a gift in front of other members of staff, including their own boss.
But what is the right gift?
The correct gift is something you have thought about and done your research on. For example, if you know your boss is a fan of whiskey, then getting them a bottle will show that you have listened and paid attention to detail.
The same could be said for a boss who is a coffee fan – you could get them a mug specifically for their style of coffee. These gifts are tailored to the person’s taste.
Top 11 Appropriate Gift Ideas
So, if you are looking for a thoughtful gift to get your boss, check out the curated gift ideas below. From potted plants to scarves, there is something for everyone.
1. Coffee Beans
You might have noticed that your boss always grinds their own coffee in the office. You know which type they like.
2. Potted Plants
Is your boss a plant aficionado? Do they like to spend a lot of time in the garden? They might just like to decorate their office with some green every now and then. This present is perfect for a green-fingered boss.
Scented candles or aromatherapy is great for the boss who likes interior design and enjoys taking some time to relax every now and then. Think about what type of scent they would prefer before buying them a candle.
If your boss is a keen chef in the kitchen, you might have noticed that they like to experiment with different recipes during their spare time.
Pick a cookbook you believe they will like. Have a think about the type of cuisine they prefer to cook or buy one that might challenge them. This is a thoughtful gift that will get their creative juices flowing.
5. A Travel Flask
A great touch would be to get your boss something practical. For example, they might have to commute into the office or workplace and having a flask to keep their hot drink hot and cold drink cool would be super handy.
There are many different types of flasks to choose from, so have a think about the type of design they might like. Maybe something in their favourite colour?
6. Pet Gifts
Does your boss have a pet? Maybe they love animals and have several at home. Getting some treats for their pets – or even a personalized food bowl with the pet’s name on it – is a personal gift that will mean a lot to them.
7. A Personalized Pen
A fountain pen in a gift box for your stationery-loving boss is a lovely token to thank them for their help over the years. Why not go that extra mile and get the pen personalized with your boss’s name or initials? This will be something they can keep forever.
8. Food Hampers
A food hamper for your boss might be a nice treat, especially if they love all different kinds of bespoke foods.
You could make this up yourself and fill it with pieces you know your boss and their family might like – this will show them that you have thought about them and their loved ones.
9. A Framed Photo
If you want to go down the personal route, you could get your boss a framed picture of a fun moment they have had at work or contact a member of their family to get a good photo to put in the frame.
Why not go that extra mile, and get the frame engraved with a nice message?
10. A Monogrammed Scarf
Another piece that is a bit different is some cozy knitwear. Your boss might be the type of person who likes to keep warm in the office – they might always keep a cardigan close by if the air conditioning is too high. We would recommend picking a neutral scarf – but first make sure they are not allergic to certain materials. Again, this is a piece you can always personalise with some embroidered initials.
11. Artisanal Sauces
Homemade or independent sauces are perfect for the boss who likes something a bit different. They might bring their own sauce to work lunches or dinners – this present will be a funny, yet much-wanted, gift they will appreciate. You never know, they might let you try some, too!
Top Gift-Buying Tips
Getting a gift for your boss is not always as easy as it looks. There will be a few things you will need to check first.
A few of these are mentioned earlier in the article. Checking for food allergies, whether or not they drink alcohol, or if your boss simply does not like something, takes a bit of homework.
Here are a few other tips:
- Check with human resources (HR) – Before buying anything, find out HR’s protocol on at-work presents. Some workplaces have something called a bribery act, whereby some presents can be seen as a bribe rather than a gift (for example, if you buy your boss a present in hope of a promotion or to be put on the account that all your colleagues want). If the HR policy allows gifts, you can start the search.
- Do not get your boss something insensitive or inappropriate – If you think sending your boss a funny gift is a good idea but are not completely sure they will take it in the right way, then trust your gut and don’t buy it. Sometimes with gift-giving it is better to stay on the safe side. The last thing you want to do is offend anyone.
- Check whether your boss likes to receive gifts – Some people do not like to receive gifts. They might prefer a simple thank you or a nice card. Do double check before you buy something.
- Find out whether they have any food allergies, are teetotal or sugar-free – Or maybe they just don’t like edible gifts. In this case, it would be best to get them something else instead.
- Get them a group gift – Why not invite your colleagues in on the gift? You could group together to get your boss something super special like an experience day, perhaps. This is a great bonding experience with your co-workers.
A good boss is a gift in itself. Working with someone who motivates you every day and brings out the best in you is a winner, so they’re worth the homework and the present.
It will also show them that you appreciate them and their work – a gesture they will not forget.