Teamwork, being able to get on with other people and work with them efficiently and effectively, is a key competency employers value and often require job applicants to demonstrate at interview. Most jobs require employees to work alongside other people, as part of a team.
Competency Questions: Teamwork
Examples of competency based questions interviewers may use to find out about a candidate's teamwork skills include:
- Tell me about a time when you worked successfully as part of a team.
- Describe a situation where you were successful in getting people to work together effectively.
- Describe a time when a team member has annoyed you.
- Tell me about a time when you have had to modify yourself (or a way you do something) to take into account someone else's views.
- Tell me about a situation when you needed to offer constructive criticism to a friend or team member?
- Describe a time when you were a member of a team and witnessed a conflict within the team. What did you do? What were the results? What could you have done better?
Candidates with good teamwork skills are able to see the bigger picture and grasp the concept that employers value the outcome achieved by a group, more than that achieved by any one person.