KPMG Kenya Graduate Recruitment 2009

20 May 2009 - 11:23am
Vericity

As there's little on the site regarding the application process for the KPMG Kenya (East Africa) recruitment process, I will post my experiences here hopefully for posterity. I have been contacted by KPMG Kenya and invited to write an aptitude test on 23 May 2009 at Nairobi. Right now I am just preparing for the same. Since I work with PKF during the day and I am still studying fior my bar exam as well as the June ACCA exams I am preparing over my lunch hour. I don't know how the test will be set out but once I write it, I'll post my experiences here. The recruitment process here might be a bit different from that in Europe or other countries. Tell you how it goes. Anyone else writing the same is most invited to share their experiences.

Latest comments

• 8 October 2011 - 12:22am
    • swish

Here is my kpmg graduate recruitment kenya 2011 experience

APTITUDE TEST
    This was done at kicc and was made up of two tests.
    The first was divided into 3 parts ie verbal reasoning,numerical reasoning and logical reasoning. The last part was figuring out the next pattern or figure from a given series. The time given was 1 hour.

a five minute break was the given then the next test was given. It was a critical reasoning test/ test of productive thinking. In this test you are given various scenarios and are given five minutes for each scenario to write down what actions you would take in such a situation.

ASSESMENT CENTRE
    This was done at KPMG offices Lonrho House
    It was composed of three parts: The first is an intray exercise where you are given various workplace situations and you are to prioritise them ie decide how you would categorise them in order of priority. The time given was 12 minutes.

The 2nd part was a mini presentation. I call it mini it only lasts three minutes. you are given a topic to talk about and three minutes in which to do this eg tell us in three minutes about your greatest achievement (or sth like that) could also ask abt ur passion, what you would do if you were president, current affairs etc. you have an audience of about 10 people.

The third part is the group assesment whereby you are divided into groups of about 8 and are given a topic to discuss. In my group the issue was about an audit that you carried out and the client is disputing the findings. we were split into 2 groups of 4 each where one group was the client and the other the audit firm with each group in a different room where you had to come up with your arguements. this lasted 15 mins then the two groups were then brought together to argue out their cases. this also lasted for fifteen minutes. in both sessions there were assesors seated around the room observing.

BRIEFING
    after the assesment centre (abt one and a half wks later) . There was briefing whereby we got to choose the business unit we would like to work in and got to ask any questions that we had so far.

MANAGERS INTERVIEW
    This was about a week after the briefing. the panel was 2 managers and a hr person. it lasted abt 30-45 mins. questions asked included how would you describe your experience in high school/ uni? if you had to do over the 4 yrs what would you do differently? what do you do in your freetime ie hobbies, wht is kpmgs vision/mission? why did you choose a particular bz uni(during the briefing), what would you do if your giving a powerpoint presentation to an important client and there was power outage/ blackout? what are your strengths,what are your weaknesses, etc you are also given a chance to ask questions.

PARTNERS INTERVIEW
    This was also at kpmg offices. the panel was 2 partners and the hr manager. It lasted about 20-30 mins. questions asked included tell us about yourself,who are the three most influencial people in your life?,what has been the greatest/happiest moment of your life?, what has been the lowest point of your life? if you were in another life what qualities would you wish to have then that you dont have now, what qualities would you wish to drop and what qualities would you wish to keep? if you meet a person for the first time what do you tell them about yourself? what is your vice? why should we hire you? what has been the single defining moment of your life? etc. You are also given a chance to ask a question.

• 21 June 2011 - 4:27pm
    • Essie

Lol got the date confusion again... KPMG is really gatting me on my toes....FNjamie what time are you scheduled for? they`d said 2.00pm for me but called me today confirming a change to 3.00pm kesho....u????Don too bad but will let you know what to expect there

• 21 June 2011 - 5:12pm
      • Doncharliezz

FNJamie n Essy all the best kesho seems am the only one for Thursday...oh n kesho there is another friend of mine,Faith,u guys do ua very best...@Imogen,we'l keep u posted...as far as we go that is.

• 21 June 2011 - 9:45am
    • FNjamie

Hi guyz! going for the assessment too! except that i go on 22nd seemingly am the only one. Anyone on the same group as i?
    Advice, the aptitude test was quite challenging but we made it. Other stages will be the same and still we'll make it through the key word here, team spirit.
    Wish you all the best.

• 20 June 2011 - 5:07pm
    • ImogenKiprop

I hope like mnkuria you two document your experiences for the future graduates like me who hope to go through the process in a years time.

• 19 June 2011 - 8:12pm
    • Doncharliezz

Hey all,
    I did the aptitude for 2011 grad recruitment on 26th May n got an email last week confirming i'd been shortlisted for the Assessment Centre on June 23...
    Fingers crossed n will keep you updated.
    Anyone else goin for the same?

• 19 June 2011 - 10:13pm
      • Essie

Congratulations Don. Me too same day and hope to see you there..... Fingers crossed and getting knees sour.

• 20 June 2011 - 8:22am
        • Doncharliezz

Congratulations too Essie..most definitely will see you there..N may we be in the same group :-P.

See you then.

Is there anyone else going for the same?????

• 12 May 2011 - 1:17pm
    • Mazon

No it is not premature to discuss market leadership. That is what business is about. "Mine is bigger than yours" is at the very core of business. You maybe right about the intellectually bankrupt being the only ones who worry about it.. but that is the reason the intellectually endowed stay in campus and become lecturers in professors while the more competitive amongst us go into the real world and fight it out on Wall Street (or in your case - Standard street).

Look around you, how many managers has KPMG asked to resign (read fired) for not bringing in bigger revenues in the last 8 months. You might still be a KYM but once you break into management, you'll learn why this is important.

Why is it important to a new graduate? Because market leadership also represents the quality of the challenge you've alluded to above. The biggest clients go for the market leaders first before considering anyone else. Ask around why people outside IT security consider Ernst and Young only after they've exhausted the other options. its coz you'll end up working with small time clients == limited experience.

• 16 April 2011 - 12:41pm
    • BeatriceGithanga

I'm graduating on December 2011 and i always hope to work at KPMG

• 16 April 2011 - 12:32pm
    • BeatriceGithanga

I always hope to work at KMPG

• 16 February 2011 - 6:11am
    • Vericity

I'm not getting emotional about it. I'm just saying that it is premature and actually incompetent to gallivant about market leadership and all that jazz. There are no parameters to measure that and you really have to delve into serious subjective analyses to arrive at a determination one way or the other.

A new graduate needs a challenge, responsibility, technically astute colleagues, quality clientele, opportunities for self development and a chance at creating value. Whether some firm made this much revenues globally last year doesn't matter.

Ever heard of a game called "mine is bigger than yours"? Usually, it's the intellectually bankrupt who worry about it.

• 6 January 2011 - 3:45pm
    • Mazon

... and now Deloitte is the largest accounting firm in the world in terms of revenues having beaten PwC in the 2010 financial year.

• 17 November 2010 - 5:58pm
    • Mazon

@mnkuria..

Don't get worked up. Taxman has simply stated a fact. I've worked for 3 of the big 4's in Kenya and the fact is PwC is the market leader IN kenya. The facts you've stated here are correct by all relate to KPMG firms in other countries. Just as it is a fact that EY is the lowest ranked of the big 4 in Kenya but the highest ranked in US. Now that you've joined the firm, you'll confirm this for yourself. PwC earns the highest revenues and has the greatest visibility amongst clients (what KPMG used to call "recognition on first mention").

In terms of work culture and people agenda, KPMG kenya was definitely at the top. I mean PwC Kenya fired a whole department during the credit crunch.

But the point is made.. don't get emotional about it..

• 12 August 2010 - 6:26am
    • taxman08

Congratulations to all of you who made it.

I managed to interview 3 of the Big 4 and got two offers which I am considering.
    The interview process is mostly the same in all of the Big 4 but I would advise everyone to do a thorough research into the Line of service and the Firm which they have applied to.
    Also, it is important to identify what you want in a career and get to put it across to the interviewers with utmost ease.

Bearing in mind that I am a fresh grad, money is the ONLY consideration at this point and I most certainly will be signing the PwC Kenya offer.

If you did not get in this time round, do not despair, take time to analyze your career goals and reposition yourself in a more strategic way in readiness for Grad Recruitment 2011

• 11 August 2010 - 3:09pm
    • cisageek2010

congrats to making it so far, was evicted at group stage(kpmg,SA), luckily managed to go all the way in Citi's Graduate Program :-);

• 11 August 2010 - 10:39am
    • thanksalot

Thanks mnkuria. I got a call on monday confirmimg that i passed the partners interview! I wouldn't have done it without wikijob. so thanks a lot

• 11 August 2010 - 11:28am
      • beany

so i guess i dint make it was in for the partners interview on thrday but havent recieved any call.they said latest 20th but av already lost hope.you are very lucky

• 11 August 2010 - 1:24pm
        • thanksalot

Don't lose hope just yet. I am sure that it was not the final call

• 10 August 2010 - 11:35am
    • beany

what is the main purpose of the partner"s interview?i'd like to thank mnkuria for the great advice and the updates.

• 10 August 2010 - 10:52am
    • Commando

molly85>>Thanks. Keep us posted.

• 10 August 2010 - 10:13am
    • molly85

Hey guys poleni sana. Am sure you did well but competition is quite high and we cannot dispute that. Am sure you will pata other places equally good if not better.
    I wish you well in your endeavors and keep trying....you never know.

• 10 August 2010 - 9:37am
    • Commando

mnkuria59>> I did the managerial interview but unfortunately i did not manage. Thanks alot for your help and all the best in your career. Now i back to the drawing board as i look for another job as i had high hopes in KPMG. Thanks a lot once again.

ppman>>Sorry i did not make it through but life must go on. I did Comp. Sci and getting a job is challenging...all the best in your endeavours and thanks for having wished me well.

• 5 August 2010 - 4:33pm
    • ppman

lol lol seems i didnt make it coz its been a month since i participated in the group assessment & no communication from kpmg yet! It was a gr8 experience tho. kudos to all who went thru (includin commando).

• 26 July 2010 - 4:27pm
    • Vericity

Thanks all. Commando, you will find sample questions at the top of the page. I however do not know how the interviews will be this year but look at the interview as a conversation between you and the managers not as an interrogation. The questions do not matter. What matters is who you are as a person. As always, be guided by the KPMG values. Cheers

• 26 July 2010 - 10:30pm
      • Commando

mnkuria59 >> Thanks alot. I will do my best and i will notify you on the progress. KPMG never goes wrong for sure. They take the best and surely you are one. Cheers.

• 26 July 2010 - 9:40pm
      • Commando

mnkuria59 >> Thanks alot. I will do my best and i will notify you on the progress. KPMG never goes wrong for sure. They take the best and surely you are one. Cheers.

• 26 July 2010 - 9:40pm
      • Commando

• 26 July 2010 - 11:39am
    • Commando

Hi Everyone,

mnkuria59 >> Thank you so much for posting your experience during the hiring process at KPMG. Im glad you made it and i sincerely wish you a great career at the company. This post is so useful and i wish i could have read this post earlier on. Nonetheless, i have so far managed to secure a managerial interview this Thursday morning at their Lornho Hse. Offices.
    I would kindly ask you to help me out in the preparation as i have this one shot which i must make the best out of it...i really want to join KPMG...sincerely i do.
    How many managers will be interviewing you based on your past experience and if possible can you kindly provide me with some of the questions and answers as how you handled each....this is not only for me but everyone who has an invite as i wish everyone success....

Thank you.

• 13 July 2010 - 6:09am
    • molly85

I must agree with you mnkuria 59, though i didnt manage to get in again this year, i must say that my former colleagues while in school say KPMG has the best working culture ever. When the recruitment started sometime this year, enough of my friends encouraged me to go after KPMG since it was the best place to be at. The mentorship is amazing professionally and socially. The corporate social responsibility is exceptional and fulfilling. On the working mother's rating, i couldn't agree more, a colleague of mine got pregnant and she got her maternity leave well, in advance. There are many many other positive things i could say.
    Am still hopeful that one day i will get in though it wont be the graduate level as my time is out.

• 12 July 2010 - 6:37pm
    • Vericity

Hi taxman08, might I ask how you have arrived at the conclusion that PwC is the market leader in the region? What criteria have you used? That insinuates you have an intimate knowledge of the operations of the other firms which is doubtable. Nobody has that knowledge.

I don't want to get into the details of who's bigger than who or who is hiring the most people and you shouldn't either. Such considerations are mischievous, irrelevant and purely academic. An intellectual fraud that you should not participate in. The kind of thing you shouldn't waste your time on.

But the facts speak for themselves:

1. KPMG was rated one of the top 10 companies for working mothers by Working Mother Magazine.

2. KPMG ranked No. 56 on Fortune Magazine's list of 100 Best Companies to Work For, voted for by employees.

3. KPMG ranks No. 5 out of 125 among companies with the best training programs according to "Training Magazine".

4. KPMG was the preferred employer among the Big Four accounting firms according to College Grad.com

5. KPMG was also ranked No.4 on the list of "50 Best Places to Launch a Career" in 2009 according to BusinessWeek

6. In 2008 KPMG was named the best big company to work for by The Times. This was the fourth consecutive year that KPMG has made the top three winning three times in that four years.

7. In 2008 when the global markets collapsed and some firms we know but cannot mention in the interest of good taste and professionalism laid off many of their staff and closed departments, KPMG introduced programme known as 'Flexible Futures'. This allowed staff to volunteer to give the firm the option to either send them on a sabbatical at 30% pay for up to 12 weeks, or to reduce their working hours to 4 days a week. The option ensured that lay offs were suspended.

8. KPMG was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was featured in Maclean's newsmagazine.

9. KPMG was also named one of Greater Toronto's Top Employers, which was announced by the Toronto Star newspaper..

And we could go on and on and on but I'm sure you get the point.

KPMG is a people friendly place where employees matter, your learning and development is unrivalled and where "respect to the individual" is not just a cliche conveniently placed on the mission statement just behind the receptionist to impress the visitor but an active value that is in practise at all times.

Dear Constant Reader, Friends and Neighbours, what matters to you is your own career development. And in all honesty and having had acquaintances with people from across the Big Four world, KPMG is where you've got to be. "KPMG is where it's all at", as you young 'uns would say. I would actually stake my current and future professional reputation on the fact that "KPMG is happening"

Cheers and looking forward to seeing you...

• 12 July 2010 - 10:47am
    • taxman08

PwC will hire the most, around 30 - 40 in Kenya alone, adding up to 300-400 across Africa Central .Deloitte will hire 15 - 20 in Kenya. Am not sure about KPMG but PwC is the market leader in the region.

• 12 July 2010 - 9:26am

Roughly how many graduates do each of the Big 4 hire in Kenya? I know PwC in the UK hire 1,000 - 1,300 each year - but I don't imagine hiring is to this level in Africa?

• 12 July 2010 - 8:20am
    • ppman

This forum has been helpful. I attended group assessment last week. Just hopn 4 the best.

• 2 March 2010 - 7:53am
    • taxman08

Between PwC Kenya, Deloitte and KPMG Kenya, who would rate higher and for what reasons? salary wise, work life balance and career development.

• 24 February 2010 - 7:01am
    • miss mu

thanks guys.....this is very usefull info av been contacted by kpmg about this years recruitment so cross ur fingers and pray for me.............the long process starts in late April and i will definetly use this helpfull info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 March 2010 - 7:55am
      • taxman08

How do you apply to KPMG Kenya? do you send your C.V as inline text or do you attach a copy of the same? Thanks.

• 26 October 2009 - 7:23am
    • molly85

Thanks to mnkuria 59 for the detailed experience.I really wsh you well.
    Ken,thanks again also.Did you also get in?
    KPMG is also a dream employer to me and i would like to get in again.Kinly mnkuria,could you let us know when recruitment starts next year and how you submit the initial applications.Thanks in advance.

• 24 October 2009 - 8:35am
    • hgathigiaa

Hi. i'm in Kenya and finishing my bcom course this december. will also be finishin my cpa exams the same time. are there any trainee vacancies at kpmg kenya and if so how do i apply?

• 8 September 2009 - 9:01am
    • DANIEL SANG

I LOVE KPMG

• 4 September 2009 - 5:27pm
    • lisaox

feli, i studied biochemistry at uttah.now am in kenya visiting and was thinkin i could stay,so am kind of lookn for a place.

Oh,Nkuri, din mean to get you worked up girl! deleted, freinds now?my partner is auditing

• 4 September 2009 - 11:42am
    • Vericity

I particularly don't care about the partner's character or his womanising allegations. Part of being a professional is not caring about such triffles. Secondly, I am only interested in acquiring skills and diversifying my competencies. In any case, if your partner doesn't work in Forensic, anything that he purports to know about the partner is second hand and hear say. Anyhow, I start in October and will see how it goes. In which function is your friend?

• 3 September 2009 - 8:36am
    • Felix86

what do you study lisaox?

• 24 August 2009 - 10:39pm
    • lisaox

sounds good.maybe i can apply there.thoug am into chemicals,i just want a 'curious' kind of job as i love finding out things-and good at it too

• 15 August 2009 - 11:13am
    • Vericity

Great news!!! I received confirmation that I passed the partner's interview and they are giving me an offer. I will be getting the contract documents on monday. The partner's interview was post poned twice and I understood coz in a busy firm, you expect time to be an issue. But when I went for the interview, the entire session was actually very interactive and enjoyable. The partner was very warm as was the HR Director who sat in. It wasn't very structured or rigid and it was about getting to know me as a person. I was asked such questions as Why KPMG? Why should I hire you? Have you ever sold anything? Have you ever been conned? This is risky work, why still want to be in it? etc. Cheers and success. I got into Forensics and Corporate Restructuring.

• 18 August 2009 - 12:59pm
      • Felix86

CONGRATULATIONS! I have been earnestly following your proceedings. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences they have given me an insight into the interviews. KPMG is my dream company and I look forward to the interviews though I have not graduated yet. I wish you all the best in your new job.

• 25 August 2009 - 3:24am
        • lisaox

wow,nice nku

• 5 August 2009 - 5:58am
    • Vericity

Good news on the manager's interview. I was informed that I passed and have been invited to the partner's interview coming friday. I applied to get into forensic and corporate restructuring. Figured that my legal background would enable me to fit right into the function. We'll see how it goes. I have also always been deeply fascinated and interseted in forensic work so I think that if I'm successful, I'll definitely enjoy my work. As always, fingers crossed.

• 18 July 2009 - 11:12am
    • Vericity

Thanks Koi for sharing. Okay, that sounds like something from Auditors Anonymous :-P. Anyhow, I passed the group assessment and was invited for the manager's interview which I attended yesterday. On the group assessment, I would say that it is important to be guided by the KPMG values e.g respect to the individual, always seeking the facts, challenging assumptions, interrogating the facts and providing insight, leading by example etc. You really have to project a team working ability and don't be afraid to propose solutions that probably sound weird to you. All novel approaches do sound a bit....er...out of this world. W e had a team member propose that we charter a Cessna 57 AND USE IT AS A CLIMAX FOR A CORPORATE DAY OUT!!!!! Never mind the fact that we'd need an air strip and the plane can only take 9 or so people and it was not in the budget. He got through and was invited for the manager's interview.

Now the manager's interview: It was competency based. I would say that it included the following styles:

1. Stress interviewing: To see how well you can handle pressure. An audit firm is the most stressing environment you'll probably work in so it's important for them to see what stuff you're made of. I really can't emphasize this enough. If you can't handle stress or working for more than 10 hours a day and on weekends then an audit firm is really not the most optimal career choice. Expect your views to be challenged during the interview, silence at the end of your answers, raised eyebrows as if you are the dumbest specimen they've ever seen and your academic or professional history critically analysed. Don't take it personally.

2. Behavioural Interviewing: The panel asked questions designed to determine how you have acted in past situations. Questions like Tell me of an instance when you needed to persuade others. When you acted as a leader. When you failed to meet your objectives? When you had to help a colleague. Tell me of a time when you had to take initiative. The object here is to get to really know you. Common knowledge has it that past performance is really an indicator of future performance. But don't go quoting me on that since the contrary may also be the case. The point is, you have to provide justification for your assertions. If you claim to be goal oriented then say what experiences have led you to this self awareness. It is not too much to ask I think.

3. Situational Interviewing: This is where the panel wants to know how you would handle certain circumstances. They want to know whether you can think on your feet. They also want to assess your ethical depth. I was asked the following questions: What would you do if midway through a powerpoint presentation to an important client, the power went off? What would you do if you noticed that a colleague's work was shoddy one hour to the submission deadline? Ask for an extension? Cry? Blame the credit crisis? I dunno...your pick.

That's just about it. I get to know the results of that interview in 2 weeks time and until then, friends and neighbours, it's fingers crossed.

• 17 July 2009 - 6:10am
    • koi

I will discuss the group assessment stage as I experienced when I attended the exercise a month ago. Basically, recruits are arranged in groups of ten and each group is invited for a 30 minute brainstorming session. The group is given a task such as an event to plan and a problem which should be factored into the planning, such as a delay in supply of services. The assessors are situated around the room and assess the performance of the recruits as far as participation and teamwork goes as well as the creativity and originality of the individual's ideas. Thereafter, one group member presents the group's final agenda to the entire group of recruits and assessors. The key is proper time management as there is a time constraint and recruits run the risk of running out of time as they discuss the issues presented. Participation is also crucial but one has to strike a delicate balance so as not to be domineering and overshadow other group members.

• 10 June 2009 - 11:51am
    • Vericity

Good news on the aptitude test front. I was informed last friday that I had passed the aptitude test and would be proceeding to the Group Assessment stage. The notification was vide SMS so if you get an SMS telling you the same do not think that it is a hoax.

Today I attended the Group assessment but since they are still going on, I'll post the details later to avoid giving anyone an undue advantage ;-)

• 10 June 2010 - 11:25am
      • cisageek2010

hey, hope you get this in time, am sitting for the KPMG aptitude test this saturday June 12, any pointers etc

• 10 June 2009 - 11:51am
    • Vericity

Good news on the aptitude test front. I was informed last friday that I had passed the aptitude test and would be proceeding to the Group Assessment stage. The notification was vide SMS so if you get an SMS telling you the same do not think that it is a hoax.

Today I attended the Group assessment but since they are still going on, I'll post the details later to avoid giving anyone an undue advantage ;-)

• 29 May 2009 - 2:03pm
    • Vericity

I attended the aptitude test. It was in two sessions. The first session was the usual aptitude test but this was the hardest that I have written so far. There were three sections i.e Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning and critical reasoning. The verbal reasoning section contained some vocabularies for us to elucidate (30 Qs) the numerical section contained 30 Qs while the Critical reasoning contained some 10 problems. The critical reasoning part was the last and it had 10 questions bringing the total number of questions to 70. The time allowed to complete the test was exactly 1 hour so needless to say, I did not answer all of the questions.

The second test was problem based and it contained 3 Qs each of which was a passage about a business (fictitious, of course :P) and you were supposed to read it in a minute, define the problem being faced by the business in 3 minutes and list possible solutions in 5 minutes and then rate these solutions according to a risk, effectiveness and ease of implementation. you were also supposed to indicate which of the solutions you thought was most effective. I enjoyed this test as it allowed me to think outside the box.

Nonetheless, we'll see how it goes in two weeks time. Fingers crossed

• 20 May 2009 - 2:59pm

This will be facinating - WikiJob will follow this very closely and create a wiki page for "KPMG Kenya" also.

Thanks so much - and good luck!