Best Pet Insurance Companies in the US and the UK
If you are a pet owner, you know the amount of care they need. Just like people, some pets can need more care than others, especially as they age. Depending on the care needed, it can become pricey.
This is where pet insurance can help.
1. Pet Assure
- All animals are eligible for coverage
- Discount for multiple pets
- There is no deductible, usage limits or waiting period
- The policy covers pre-existing conditions
- There is a limited number of providers by location
- Policy doesn’t cover medications or prescription food
- It is not traditional pet insurance
- No coverage for specialized services
Pet Assure offers a 25% discount on almost all veterinary services, no matter the age, condition or breed. Coverage starts at just under $10 per month.
- Policyholders can visit any veterinarian
- The monthly premiums are affordable
- Multi-pet discount
- No waiting for preventative care coverage
- A pet telehealth line open 24/7
- There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage for accidents and illnesses
- No option for unlimited coverage
- Preventative care has no annual limit
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) has several pet insurance policies under its name, available in both the US and Canada.
Annual premium amounts can be as low as $3,000, with a 70–90% reimbursement amount.
The policy covers accidents, illnesses, behavioral health issues, and hereditary and congenital conditions. All pets can also have additional coverage on an itemized basis.
ASPCA also offers two policies for horses:
- Colic, accidents and illnesses
- Colic and accidents
3. Healthy Paws
- Almost all claims are processed within 48 hours
- Unlimited annual benefits
- Care from any licensed veterinarian
- No caps on claim payouts
- Claims can be sent by email, online, fax or the Healthy Paws mobile app
- No discount for multiple pets
- A 15-day waiting period for illness or accident coverage
- A one-time $25 fee
- No wellness plan, preventative care or alternative treatments
- Pets over the age of six years have limited deductibles and reimbursement
Healthy Paws offers one insurance plan that covers illnesses, accidents and emergencies, surgeries, medication, and hospital stay for pets aged from eight weeks to 14 years of age.
Policyholders can visit any 24-hour licensed emergency animal hospital, and they can see specialists such as cardiologists and oncologists.
Pets aged six and older have full accident and illness cover, with unlimited lifetime coverage. They are required to have a physical exam within the 30 days before purchasing the policy or within the first 15 days of the start of the policy.
The plan does not cover the following items:
- Fleas and parasites
- Spaying and neutering
- Dental care
- Heartworm and deworming
- Wellness coverage available
- Discounts up to 25%
- Offers a vanishing deductible
- Senior pets restricted to accident-only coverage
- No unlimited deductible options
- Wellness plans cap at $650
Embrace covers accident and illness for cats and dogs as well as custom policies that can include prescriptions, dental treatment and homeopathic work.
Policy starting prices vary, with deductibles ranging from 1,000.
- Up to 100% reimbursement
- Virtual vet visits 24/7 and customer service through their app
- Three-day waiting period for injuries, 14 days for illness
- Money-back policy within 30 days with no claims filed
- You are covered to visit any licensed veterinary practice, emergency hospital or specialist across the US, Canada and Puerto Rico
- No coverage for routine or preventative care
- Possible lifetime limit of $100,000
- Six-month waiting period for knee injuries
Figo offers three different plans to choose from. All plans cover chronic, hereditary and congenital conditions and have annual limits ranging from 100,000.
Those who pay a higher premium can receive reimbursement up to 100%.
All plans cover emergency care, hospitalization, cancer treatment, diagnostic testing and veterinary examinations.
6. Pets Best
- Very low premiums
- Accident and wellness plans for a flat rate
- A 24-hour helpline
- Direct reimbursement to the veterinarian
- Many deductible choices
- No holistic, herbal or experimental therapy coverage
- No coverage for prescribed diet, supplements or vitamins
Pets Best offers three different accident and illness policies, including Elite, Plus or Essential. There is no age limit, but Pets Best does not cover any pre-existing conditions.
All of their plans cover illness, accidents, emergency care, hereditary and congenital conditions, cancer treatment and behavioral conditions. There are also two additional wellness coverage plans that can be added.
There are broad pricing options where pet owners can create affordable plans with basic coverage and low reimbursement, rarely going over $50 a month.
- Online resources
- No maximum age limits
- One-month trial period
- Multiple pet discount
- Long waiting periods for injuries
- High premiums
- Scheduled preventative care benefits
Hartville policies include all dogs and cats of any age.
The Complete Coverage policy includes coverage for accidents and illnesses, including diabetes, dental issues, cancer, hereditary conditions and more.
The Accident Only Coverage pays for accident-related injuries and treatment including ultrasounds, surgery, x-rays, exam fees, MRI scans and more.
Customers can also purchase Preventative Care Coverage which covers wellness visits, dental cleanings and vaccines.
Coverage starts at 100, 500.
- Any licensed veterinarian can be used
- High annual limit
- Trip cancellation and boarding covered
- Pre-existing conditions reconsidered if your pet is symptom-free for 24 months
- Premiums are expensive
- Age limits for dogs and cats
- Veterinarian records are required
24PetWatch has four pet insurance policies for cats and dogs with different annual limits.
- The Extra Plan – $3,000 in annual coverage
- The Classic Plan – $5,000 in annual coverage
- The Superior Plan – $10,000 in annual coverage
- The Champion Plan – $20,000 in annual coverage
All plans cover the same incidentals – illness, accidents and treatments, including surgeries, lab tests, exams, ultrasounds, medications and more.
24PetWatch will pay for additional costs up to $500 including trip cancellation, lost pet costs, boarding kennel fees and additional living expenses.
Coverage begins at 100 to $1,000.
- All plans cover 90% of costs
- Coverage for congenital and hereditary conditions
- Customer service 24/7
- Pet owner assistance package
- No set limits for benefits
- No discounts
- No preventive care
- Only monthly payments accepted
Trupanion is unique because it offers a policy for cats and dogs that covers medical issues such as diabetes, hip dysplasia and more.
The policy also covers issues such as coughing, vomiting, diarrhea and congenital conditions. It also covers recovery and complementary care at an extra cost.
The policy has a lifetime per-condition deductible that is only paid if your pet develops a new condition. Once the deductible is paid, the policy pays out for anything related to that condition at 90% for the duration of your pet’s life.
- No age restrictions
- Lifetime per condition deductibles
- Nationwide members save 5% on pet insurance
- Limited online services
- Policies are pricier than others
- No plan customization
Nationwide is the only large pet insurance company that offers exotic animal coverage. Their coverage includes reptiles, most birds, small mammals, goats and pot-bellied pigs.
Any animals that are considered venomous or endangered, and that are not listed on Nationwide’s website, are not eligible for coverage.
Nationwide offers three pet insurance plans:
- Major Medical – Covers standard medical costs for accidents and illnesses at a low cost
- Pet Wellness – Covers preventative care such as microchipping, fecal tests, deworming and more
- Whole Pet with Wellness – Provides 90% coverage for accidents and illness, prescriptions, vaccinations, surgeries and more
Monthly premiums begin at 34 for dogs with annual deductibles of $250.
11. Pet Premium
- Coverage with any veterinarian
- Good for those on a budget
- Low deductibles
- Ample accident-only coverage
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Choose only the level of cover you need
- Pre-existing conditions not covered
- No online claim filing
- Monthly costs can go up with annual limits
Pet Premium offers two main plans:
- Total Coverage – Covers illnesses and accidents
- Accident – Only covers accidents
Both plans cover dogs and cats that are older than eight weeks.
Plan costs depend on the breed and age of the pet, the type of coverage and where you live. The deductible can be 250 or $500 per year.
Reimbursement percentages can be 60%, 80% or 90%. Per-year limits are offered from $2,500 to the unlimited option.
12. Bought By Many
- Pay monthly at no extra cost
- Up to £15,000 of lifetime vet fee coverage
- No penalty for claiming
- All policies cover previous conditions that ended two years ago
Bought By Many policies offer lifetime coverage and include previous conditions that ended two years ago.
- Complete plan – Offers lifetime coverage of vet fees of £15,000, dental problems, accidents, lost or stolen costs, legal action against you and your animal, and death from accident or illness.
- Regular plan – Offers lifetime coverage of vet fees at £7,000, accident-only dental problems, as well as coverage for items listed in the Complete plan but at lesser amounts.
- Value plan – Covers vet fees at £3,000 as well as the same coverage as other plans at lower costs, but no coverage if your pet passes away from an accident or illness.
- Pre-Existing plan – Like the Regular plan but offers coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- Lifetime coverage options
- Five cover levels
- Digital claims process
- Premiums can be pricey
Waggel has five levels of coverage ranging from £2,000 to £10,000.
Waggel’s most basic coverage includes:
- Emergency treatment abroad
- £1,000 limit on treatments such as dental work
- 24-hour help via phone or app
- Co-payments available for dogs over the age of eight and cats aged 10 and over
14. More Than
- Online discount of 25%
- Euthanasia cover
- Policies for older pets
- Short claim time
- Premiums rise per claim
More Than offers four different cover options. There is a 10% multi-pet discount as well as access to qualified nurses 24/7.
They have euthanasia coverage for when your animal is at the end of its life, as well as accident-only insurance to keep your premiums lower.
Contracts can run from 12 months to a lifetime, with veterinary fee coverage of £3,000 and a starting price of £15 per month.
- Covers dental injury and illness
- Long time to submit reimbursement claims
- Quick reimbursement
- Partners with many veterinarians
- High premiums
- No veterinary help line
- Not suitable for those with older pets
- No euthanasia coverage
Petplan is the UK’s largest pet insurer for financial protection. Customers can choose between £3,000 and £12,000 of veterinary coverage.
Petplan offers four levels of coverage:
- Essential is time limited with a coverage limit of £3,000
- Classic has lifetime coverage with a cover limit of £4,000.
- Classic+ has lifetime coverage with a cover limit of £7,000.
- Ultimate has lifetime coverage with a cover limit of £12,000.
16. Tesco Bank
- Policies for older pets
- Choose your excess amount
- Dental cover for illness and injury
- No prescription food coverage
- Price increase the second year
- Accident-only claims within one year
Tesco allows you to make changes when you need to as well as pay a bit extra to cover older pets in areas of existing conditions, dental care and more.
Like many other carriers, Tesco provides four types of pet insurance:
- Accident Only
- Time Limited
- Maximum Benefit
Their coverage ranges from £3,000 up to £10,000, allowing holders to choose an excess of £60, £120 or £200 when purchased online.
Online quotes provide customers with a 20% discount, but premiums increase in the second year by 25%.
17. Direct Line
- Only pay for the extras you need
- Euthanasia and dental covered
- Higher age limit
- Long time to submit a claim
- No coverage for prescription food
- No lifetime options
- No third-party liability
Direct Line is a great option for those with many pets, as it offers a 12.5% multi-pet discount. You can manage all your premiums in one place and renew them at the same time. New pets can be added with the same renewal date.
Coverage begins at £6.85 per month up to £11.72 depending on your plan, with up to £8,000 coverage for veterinary fees.
Pet insurance helps you pay for your pet’s medical care. Like health insurance, it can help ease the burden of veterinary bills if your pet becomes ill. This can be especially helpful if you have a pet with ongoing health issues such as diabetes.
If you take out pet insurance, you will pay a monthly premium. If your pet is ill or hurt, you pay the veterinarian and then submit a claim for reimbursement.
Not all invoices may be covered and there are some ailments that pet insurance will not cover, including pre-existing conditions when you apply.
You owe it to your beloved pet to get them the best help possible, and you want to be sure to pick the right plan to meet you and your pet’s needs.
Owning a pet can be expensive if they become sick or are injured, especially if they are prone to illnesses.
If you care for your pet, you want to take care of them as best you can. Knowing that you have some financial help can ease the burden of trying to decide whether to get the medicine or surgery they need.
Ultimately, pet insurance can save you money if you choose wisely. If your plan has a small deductible, once you meet it, a certain percentage of your veterinary bills will be taken care of.
Before deciding on the best insurance plan for you and your pet, it’s important to note that not all conditions are covered by insurance. Most plans will cover general illness and accidents, but most do not cover the following:
- Dental issues
- Pre-existing problems
- Behaviour issues
- Preventative care
- Hip dysplasia
If your pet already has a medical issue, it will likely be harder to find insurance that will cover them, or it may be more costly, but can still save you some money.
The best pet insurance plans provide solid coverage and good customer service while meeting the needs of their clients.
Most insurance plans require owners to have their pets checked out before coverage begins. Owners must first pay their veterinary bill in full and then file a claim for reimbursement.
Your claim will be looked over and you will receive the funds if approved. How much you are reimbursed depends on three things:
- The deductible – This is the amount you must pay before you receive coverage and can go as high as $1,000. This can be per year or per incident.
- The reimbursement – After you have paid the deductible, you will receive payment for a percentage of the bill, most likely 50% to 100%. This is referred to as the ‘reimbursement’.
- Maximum amount – If you have an accident-prone or sickly pet, you should know that there is a maximum amount your insurer will pay each year. Extra charges will need to be covered by you.
Many plans allow for add-on coverage when needed, or extras you want such as alternative therapies or wellness plans.
How much you end up spending on pet insurance premiums can depend on your pet, where you live and the type of coverage you have. It can also depend on the following factors:
- Age – Younger pets are cheaper to insure, as they generally have fewer health issues.
- Breed – Larger pets can cost more to insure because they can have shorter life spans (for example, dogs) with more possible health issues.
- Species – Dogs cost more to insure than cats, and males tend to cost more than females.
- Location – Premiums can change depending on where you live, with city dwellers usually paying more.
Because there are so many different insurance plans, you can always opt for one that does not cost you much. But note that it may not cover as much when you need it.
Pet insurance is an insurance product designed to provide you with peace of mind. Having a policy in place could mean that you can cover expensive vet bills if your pet should be unwell or sustain an injury.
Pet owners can choose from a range of different policy types, so it is important to do your research and choose the option that is best suited to your needs.
If you choose an accident-only policy, this only provides the minimum level of cover. This means that you will only be covered when your pet requires emergency treatment following an injury or accident.
If you choose a lifetime pet insurance policy, you will be able to claim for any new health conditions (up to an agreed maximum claim ceiling).
Puppy insurance is pet insurance for younger dogs. If your puppy is ill, injured or causes harm or damage to a person or their property, having a comprehensive insurance policy in place will help to provide you with peace of mind.
As a policyholder, you will be expected to pay an annual or monthly premium in exchange for insurance cover.
You can choose from a range of different policy types to suit your pet and circumstances. An accident-only policy will provide cover for emergency treatment if your puppy is injured. Choosing a lifetime policy is the most comprehensive option for puppy insurance cover.
In the US, some of the leading companies in the pet insurance space are Pet Assure, ASPCA, Healthy Paws, Embrace and Figo.
In the UK, some of the leading companies in the pet insurance space are Bought By Many, Waggel, More Than and Petplan.
All responsible pet owners should consider buying pet insurance. Pet insurance will provide peace of mind if your pet becomes ill, is injured or causes damage to a person or their property.
When you buy a pet insurance policy, you can choose to pay either annually or monthly. Your policy will set out how much you will have to pay in the event of a claim.
Pets can be curious, which means they might sustain an injury, cause injury or harm somebody else’s property. Without insurance, you could face having to pay a hefty bill.
It is possible to buy a pet insurance policy that covers dental care. However, a dental care policy does not include teeth cleaning.
If your pet needs to have its teeth professionally cleaned, you will need to pay for this.
As a responsible pet owner, you should always consider purchasing pet insurance cover. Veterinary care can be very expensive, so having insurance could save you a significant sum of money if your pet is unwell or injured. Having a policy in place will provide you with peace of mind if the worst should happen.
The most affordable pet insurance is usually an accident-only plan. Although this is a cheaper option, it will only offer cover for emergency treatment that your pet needs following an injury.
The most affordable pet insurance policy is not always the best option, so you should always check that your chosen cover meets your pet's needs. It is important to read through the terms and conditions of your policy before making a financial commitment.
If you have a pet, it is important to consider taking out a pet insurance policy. Pets quickly become part of the family, so the thought of not being able to pay for medical treatment they might need in the future can be frightening.
Just like us, pets can be ill or get injured at any time. They may also cause harm or damage to another person or their property, which could lead to expensive bills. Having pet insurance in place will help to provide you with peace of mind that you will be able to pay for any pet-related bills you might be required to pay in the future.
If you plan to have your pet with you for a long time, pet insurance can be a good investment. It will put your mind at ease when accidents and illnesses occur and can save you money in the long run.
It is important to do your research and choose a pet insurance plan that works for you and your pet. You may also need one that is flexible with add-ons as your pet matures, or if you have multiple animals.
It is important to look at how much you will be paying into it and what you will be getting out of it to make sure it is worth your money.
Any good pet insurance should suit both your needs and those of your pet, and have help available when you need it.