The following list of over 50 job interview questions and answers should help you prepare fully for difficult interviews. Each question below links through to an article covering example answers and how best to approach that particular question.
General interview questions and answers
Click on the interview question for the best answers.
Personal interview questions
- Tell me about yourself
- Tell me about your previous employment
- How would you describe your ideal job?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- How would you describe yourself?
- Would you rather be liked or respected?
- What do you like to do outside of work?
- What are your salary expectations?
Interview questions about employers
- Why do you want to work for our organisation?
- Why are you applying for this position?
- Why should we employ you in particular?
- Why do you want to work in this region? (e.g. Asia, USA, India)
- How is this firm different from its competitors?
- Why do you want to work for a small firm?
There are many questions you might be asked at your interview - though hopefully not many outside the scope of this list.
Interview questions about careers
- Why do you want to leave your current job?
- Why do you think you would be a good employee?
- Where do see yourself in 5/10 years time?
- What experiences most influenced your career choice?
- Have you applied to anyone else?
- What motivates you?
- What is your greatest professional achievement?
- How would you describe your work style?
- How would your manager and co-workers describe you?
- What type of work environment do you prefer?
Interview questions about education
- Why did you select your A level subjects?
- How did university help you?
- What do you see as the principal benefits of university life apart from obtaining a degree?
The best way to prepare for interviews is by reading as many questions and answers as possible. Interview Gold can help you with a method of preparation that almost guarantees success - click here to find out more.
Commercial awareness interview questions
- Describe a company that you think is currently doing well/badly and explain why you think this is so
- What significant factors have affected this industry in recent years?
- Describe one recent story and its impact upon our company
See this article for more on commercial awareness.
Technical interview questions and answers
- Why do you want to be an accountant?
- What do you think you will be doing in your first year as an accountant?
- What do you think you will be doing in your first year as an auditor?
- How is a merger/acquisition structured?
- How do you value a company?
- Why do you want to work as an investment banker?
- Why do you want to work for our bank?
See this article for more on investment banking interview questions.
- Why law?
- If you had a completely free choice, which law would you like to change and why?
- Why would you want to do legal aid work?
See this article for more on law firm interview questions.
- Give an example of when and how you have worked in a team
- Describe a time when you had a number of conflicting demands on your time and how you dealt with this
- Give an example of a time when you were not in agreement with the rest of the team
- Describe a situation where you acted on your own initiative
- What is the worst mistake you have ever made and what did you learn from it?
- Give an example of when you exercised leadership
- How do you react to pressure?
- How do you react to failure?
- How do you respond to change?
- How do you handle conflict?
- Give me an example of a time when you had to negotiate to achieve a desired outcome
For general information on questions that arise in interviews, see our page on common interview questions.