Graduate Careers at JPMorgan
JPMorgan have graduate opportunities and internships across all lines of business, however many of their graduate roles are filled exclusively via their internship programs, while others are open to outside applicants.
Roles in the following areas are recruited through internship programs. If you decide that a career in one of these areas is for you, you must apply to a JPMorgan Internship:
- Investment Banking
- Sales, Trading & Research
- Securities Services and Clearing, Treasury Services
The following programmes do not strictly require a previous internship, however recently all graduate roles have in fact been filled by successful interns:
- IB Risk
- Credit Risk
- Market Risk
The following programs are open to all applicants:
There are also opportunities available for PhD candidates from highly quantitative disciplines, in Quantitative Research, both for internships and full-time roles.
Most new employees will join the company in either the London, Bournemouth, Glasgow, or Edinburgh locations.
JPMorgan values diversity in their employees, and accepts applicants from all degree backgrounds, however those coming from a a non-numerate background will need to demonstrate their aptitude and enthusiasm for the role. The following are requirements for all graduate programmes:
- An expected or obtained 2:1 degree or European equivalent in any discipline
- Fluent English (A second European language is essential for some roles and advantageous for others.)
- Extra-curricular achievements in addition to academic excellence, which demonstrate your teamwork skills and leadership potential.
For Technology roles, it is advantageous to have Real Time system experience, Unix, SQL and one of a number of application languages such as Java, .Net, C++ or VB.
Investment Banking recruits analysts for five key business areas at JPMorgan:
- Country Mergers & Acquisitions teams
- Pan-European Sector teams
- Country Capital Markets teams (Debt and Equity)
- Securitised Products team
- Leveraged Finance
Training and Development
JPMorgan offers a wealth of training on both an inductive and ongoing basis. Most graduate programmes are 3 years in length, and offer a great amount of mobility within each department. Training and qualifications will vary depending on your business area:
- Investment Banking - Training begins in June or August with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) training and exams. You will the attend a 7-week Global Training programme that takes place in New York. Upon your return to the UK your professional development will continue with courses at their Investment Banking University.
- Sales, Trading & Research - You will the attend a 7-week Global Training programme that takes place in New York. Upon your return to the UK your professional development will continue with courses at their Global Markets University. There is a high degree of mobility available within this programme.
- Securities Services and Clearing, Treasury Services - Throughout this 2-year programme, you will have the opportunity to rotate among the following five functions: Product Management, Segment, Strategy, Sales and Risk. Specific training programmes are ongoing throughout each rotation.
- IB Risk - - You will the attend a 7-week Global Training programme that takes place in New York. Upon your return to the UK your professional development will continue with courses at their Risk University.
- Operations - Programme begins with a 2-week induction, is highly mobile and requires a great degree of flexibility.
- Asset management - You will undertake the CISI Investment Management Certificate (IMC) as part of the formal Graduate Induction Programme. The study of further qualifications such as the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst), CAIA (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst) and CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) are highly encouraged, according to the needs of each business area. Additional optional training programmes are also available.
- Finance During the first three years at the firm, you will study towards the CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) qualification.
- Technology - Programme begins with a 5-week Tech Boot Camp. Throughout your employment there is a great deal of opportunity for mobility and further development.
- Private Bank - This role begins with a 4-6 week comprehensive training programme.