Barclays Graduate Application Procedure
Generally, for graduate applicants to all division, the Barclays application procedure consists of:
The application process for Barclays may vary slight depending upon which scheme you apply for, but begins with an online application form. These forms are specific to the Barclays business arm you are applying to, and can be found on that divisions particular website.
The online application includes a one page CV upload, general biographical information, questions about your work experience and extra-curriculars, and some free text competency based questions.
- Do some research into the division to which you are applying. Barclays has a number of competencies that it looks for in its graduate hires, and each branch has certian qualities that it values more highly than others. Find out what attributes your business area is seeking, and attempt to highlight them in your application. This will not only show that you are a good fit for the position, but that you have taken the time to research the company, which recruiters appreciate.
- Give specific examples to support your answers. Instead of merely stating that you have good problem-solving skills, tell of a time when you solved a problem.
- Double check your spelling and grammar, and have someone else read your application over if possible. You may save and revisit your application anytime.
- Applications are assessed on a rolling basis, so apply well before the deadline to increase your chances of acceptance.
Note: You may only applying to one role withing each of the four divisions, so be sure the position you have chosen is the one you want to pursue. You cannot apply to more than one division in he same academic year, unless you are applying to Barclays Retail and Business Banking, in which case you may also apply to one other division. However, in rare cases you may be considered for other vacanies if your application is deemed suitable for those roles.
Your online application is then reviewed, and, if successful, you are invited to sit a Numerical Reasoning test. This is a standard SHL Test, which is around the same level as the online tests for other graduate schemes.
If you are successful at the Verbal Reasoning test, depending on the scheme you will be invited to select a First Round interview date.
First Round Telephone Interview
The first interview will be conducated over the telephone, and will last anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. It will be mostly competency based, and you will be asked to explain your motivation for applying, as well as what makes you most suited for the position. For further details about this and further interviews, see Barclays Interview questions.
If you pass the first interview stage, you will be invited to attend a half or full-day Assessment Centre with other candidates in your business area. The specific activites you will be asked to perform will vary greatly depending on which business arm, division, and location you have applied to, but may include a number of the following activities:
- Further SHL testing
- Face-to-face interviews
- Group Exercise
- Role-play exercise
- Case study and Presentation
- Analytical Exercises
- Written Exercises
Head to the Wikijob Forums to ask specific questions and read what others have to say about Barclays.