Telephone interviews are typically conducted by a member of a firm's human resources (HR) team, or outsourced to a specialist organisation (such as a recruitment consultancy or job assessment organisation). Questions will usually focus on: your CV, work experience and academic history; your motivations for applying to the firm in question, the particular industry and job role; your knowledge of the firm itself (i.e. competitors, global reach, future plans); and, your skills, qualifications and competencies.
Typical Telephone Interview Questions
It is less likely that a telephone interview would include technical questions, brain teaser questions or commercial awareness style questions (although you should still prepare for these questions, just in case).
Example Interview Questions
Typical telephone interview questions may include:
- Why do you want to work in [industry in question]?
- Why do you want to be a [job role in question]?
- What are you most looking forward to in this role?
- Tell me about yourself/take me through your CV.
- Where would you like to be in five years? What do you think you will be doing?
- Why should we hire you?
- What are your greatest achievements?
- What motivates you?
- Tell me about a time you have led a team.
- What was your degree grade? Were you happy with this?
Where possible, always use a different example when answering each question.