RBS 2014 Finance Telephone Interview

59 posts [Last post]

4 September 2013 - 8:18pm

Hi everyone,

I got through to the telephone interview stage

I am just wondering whether anyone had a telephone interview for the 2014 Finance programme.

Would it be possible if you could tell me what questions came up?

Thanks,

rc1234

9 September 2013 - 2:19pm

I had an interview for operations a few weeks ago. The questions that came up were different from what they described in email. There are mainly 3 parts: why RBS, competencies and a situation specific question. The first two are just generic stuff. For the situation specific question, i got asked: on a scale of 1 to 10, where would you place yourself and give me an example that demonstrate this. Also they told me not use examples from school if possible.
Hope this'll help.

9 September 2013 - 2:21pm

Sry the question is: on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being standing up for your principles and 10 being agreeing to do sth you don't agree, where would you place urself?

9 September 2013 - 4:56pm

Hi wangguanyu ...So did u clear the phone interview ??? Also i have my phone interview on 12th ... Any tips as to what all basics i need to cover for this stage ??

9 September 2013 - 5:58pm

Hi Avni Yes I was told the following day that I'd passed. My tips: you really need to think about why u r applying to rbs & ur chosen division in particular. Be prepared to be asked about your understanding of the division and details of the graduate programme. For competencies, have a few examples on leadership&teamwork and u will be fine. As for the situation specific question, I think the score you gave is not important, the important thing is to have a coherent story to back it up. Be prepared to be probed on what specific actions u took and why.

My experience with RBS has been very good so far. The HR lady who interviewed me was very nice and the response was very swift. Good luck with ur interview on 12th :)

12 September 2013 - 8:50am

Hi rc1234,

Ive also got through to the telephone interview for the rbs finance programme.

Just wondering if you have had your interview yet and if so do you have any tips on what questions will be asked.

Would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Aj Sol

16 September 2013 - 4:40pm

Hi Avni,

How was your interview, any tips? I have mine coming up shortly. So, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Krishna

16 September 2013 - 5:54pm

Thanks for the tips helped me alot !! Good luck with your AC

16 September 2013 - 5:58pm

Hi Krishna , my interview went well .. the HR consultant was very forthcoming and helped me along the way to give him well structured answers.
The key would be to have 3 to 5 structured points for every set of competency .. So competencies could be different for each candidate but they all hint at the same theme - Strengths,why rbs , why this industry , talk about ur work ex n what u learn day to day .. future plans .... very generic and should be simple to track...
Also give the HR person time to type ur answer .. be slow n clear with ur answers ..

17 September 2013 - 5:04pm

Hi Avni, Thanks for the advice.. I am sure this will come handy while preparing... Did you get any response after your interview?

Cheers
Krishna

21 September 2013 - 11:05am

hey guys, I also have a telephone interview coming up for finance. Can anyone tell me which competencies were assessed? so I can prepare my answers...

25 September 2013 - 10:25pm

got invited for assessment centre for internal audit!

27 September 2013 - 2:22pm

Congrats, Intruder. Do any of you know where to find more information about the RBS programme?

3 October 2013 - 7:57pm

Has anyone been to AC yet? How long did you wait between being told that you passed tel interview and finding out if you are making it to AC? thx M

10 October 2013 - 5:35pm

Did you go throught the assesment center yet?

16 October 2013 - 10:55pm

I got told the day after I passed the tel interview, but they said there was no confirmed spot at the AC. However they let me know I had the AC 4-5 days later

17 October 2013 - 11:17am

The website is enough I guess. I've not yet had the AC

18 October 2013 - 5:52pm

Anyone got the offer yet? We were supposed to hear back today or by monday. I'm guessing they would have called the successful people today and are going to contact the rest on monday, which doesn't really put me in a good position.

21 October 2013 - 4:46pm

Anyone got the invitation of Ops AC?

21 October 2013 - 5:43pm

not yet

21 October 2013 - 7:01pm

Im also waiting in the ops AC. Passed the IV almost a month ago now. Is everyone in the same boat?

21 October 2013 - 7:01pm

Im also waiting in the ops AC. Passed the IV almost a month ago now. Is everyone in the same boat?

21 October 2013 - 10:27pm

yeh, passed a tel int a month ago with the app submitted in early sept

24 October 2013 - 12:04pm

I had my interview today. The interviewer was very friendly and gave plently to time think and structure my answers. The interview was divided into 3 parts. And success in one part would lead to other part otherwise if you do not succeed in first part you wont proceed to the second part. Did everyone faced the same situation? Fingers crossed for the reults

2 November 2013 - 3:15pm

Guys, I applied for the CM Graduate Program at RBS and I have my phone interview very soon. Do some of you have any tips ? What kind of questions came up ? I read that they were also competency based questions... Do you know what I should expect regarding Capital Market ?

3 November 2013 - 5:16pm

Has anyone here had a telephone interview for Risk? I have one tomorrow and I'd like to know as much as I can to increase my chances of passing it. What were the competencies you were assessed on? And did you guys have a situational question as well? My email said 3 questions, 1 on motivation on joining and the other 2 competencies so I'm not sure about the situational question.
Thanks!

4 November 2013 - 8:24am

There were 2 competencies which they expanded on. Give me a time where you have helped someone in a task which they didnt think was possible, and from 1 to 10 what rating would you give yourself where 1 is stick to what you believe in and 10 being happy to do a task which you didnt think was right - after you gave a number they would ask a competency q accordingly, I got give me an example where you didnt feel comfortable with someones morals. The only other questions were motivational - why RBS, what do you know about the program, why risk, how will you studies help you, what are the challenges facing the company, what are your career aspirations.

4 November 2013 - 1:42pm
Ifi

Hey I also had a telephone interview for risk a couple of weeks ago, they informed me i passed but couldn't guarantee a place for an assessment centre and they will inform me when the next campaign will be available. Did anyone that passed their telephone interview for risk recently been told the same thing or got a place to the assessment centre?

Thnx,
Ifi

4 November 2013 - 7:11pm

It's worth chasing them up, I got told the same when I had my tel interview last month and was informed that I had an AC 4/5 days later

5 November 2013 - 5:06pm

Thanks a lot ak371! They asked the same questions. I got an email today morning I passed the interview and received an email just now inviting me to an assessment centre on the 19th. Anyone else got invited for Risk?

7 November 2013 - 7:15pm

Hello Loic! Have u had ur tele interview for the RBS CM graduate? I got one next week... Could u share some details? all competency based? Thx a lot!

12 November 2013 - 12:28am

No worries lolwut, good luck for the AC! I had my AC for risk in Oct so if you would like any tips, feel free to message me.

12 November 2013 - 7:07pm

Thank you!

13 November 2013 - 1:00pm

Guys I just received that.. Dont really know hat it means. Did any of you received it as well ?

Thank you for making the time available to participate in the Telephone Interview.

After reviewing your responses, we are very pleased to inform you that you have successfully met the benchmark for our Graduate Programme in Capital Markets.

We are now shortlisting candidates for progression to the final stage of our selection process, which will be an Assessment Centre.

Because we receive many high quality applications and spaces at the final round are limited, please be aware that we are unable to guarantee an Assessment Centre place at this stage.

We typically run a number of assessments for each programme, and only contact the people we select to attend each event. This means that you may not hear immediately whether your application will be progressed, but you are now under consideration, and we will update you in due course.

For my interview, exactly the same questions as said previously. No tricks or suprises

13 November 2013 - 2:24pm

I had my CM graduate tele interview 2 days ago. nothing happened since then... Loic.taieb, how long did you receive this email after tele??

13 November 2013 - 4:01pm

2 days

13 November 2013 - 4:01pm

2 days

15 November 2013 - 1:20pm

Anyone heard anything about Ops AC yet?

15 November 2013 - 1:37pm

I had an email regarding Ops AC:
Thank you again for your application to The Royal Bank of Scotland Graduate Programme in M&IB Operations.

As you are aware, you have successfully passed all stages up to this point, and the next stage will be a face-to-face assessment.

We are now writing to inform you that we have started to select which candidates will attend the next stage.

We run a number of assessments for each programme, and only contact the people we select to attend each event. This means that you may not hear immediately whether your application will be progressed, but you are now under consideration, and we will update you in due course.

Because we receive many high quality applications and spaces at the next round are limited, please be aware that we are unable to confirm at this stage whether we will be inviting you to the next round.

15 November 2013 - 1:41pm

Got the same email, no invitation for AC so far. Anyone?

15 November 2013 - 1:54pm

Im the same as as above for ops!

16 November 2013 - 6:37pm

it is a usual email sent to all the pipol... my m8 got the same and sum1 on da forum said they are goin to AC next week

16 November 2013 - 6:39pm

btw i did 1 interview in early sept, still getting usual mails like the one above and no invite

19 November 2013 - 4:50pm

anyone got an invitation for the wealth AC??

19 November 2013 - 10:01pm

Operasions AC anyone? Still no reply

19 November 2013 - 10:29pm

Still nothing for ops

22 November 2013 - 6:50pm

I got an AC for ops on Nov 28th. Anyone going on the same day? I'm a bit confused about what the format of the AC would be. There seems to be some inconsistency between the preparation booklet sent by RBS and what people actually experienced on this forum...

24 November 2013 - 10:50pm

Hi Alison - I have the AC for ops on the same day.. is yours at the london office? yeah seems to be some conflicting info on sites like targetjobs too but i guess it must be whatever is in the booklet they sent. how are u preparing?

25 November 2013 - 4:32am

The questions they asked me in telephone interview were different from what they said they would be....so that's why I'm concerned this time. RBS has changed their interview/ac format past year, I think they probably sent us the guidance for previous AC. Maybe you can call them to find out? I'd like to do that but I'm not currently in the UK...

25 November 2013 - 8:45am

Oh really? What did they tell you was going to be in the phone interview? I may call them later today, I want to confirm we dont have any tests to do there! Is there anything specific you want me to ask?

25 November 2013 - 10:14am

just what are we going to do in ac. Specifically, r we going to have a written exercise or mentoring task? And of course whether or not we need to take any test! Thx k111 for finding out for the rest of us ;)