Deloitte graduate Audit offer 2014- ask away for help

93 posts [Last post]

19 July 2013 - 12:04pm

Throughout my application process, I found the forums on wiki jobs immensely helpful. Now that I have received an offer for the audit intake 2014- I'd like to share my experience and help anyone whose applying as well. Feel free to ask anything and I'll try my best to answer them to the best of my memory. Good luck with your applications:)

21 July 2013 - 2:27am

Hey Maz91,

Firstly, congratulations on your offer it must feel great!! Urmm I have my first interview coming up in Audit-Financial Services for intake of 2014. Would you have any advice with regards to both the first and second interview, for example what kind of questions do they ask, and how much detail they go into your CV. Also what topic did you get for your partner interview? Sorry for asking so many questions, any pointers you can give me would be much appreciated. Well done again for securing your grad job!

21 July 2013 - 10:11am

Hey, well done! What office are you applying to?

22 July 2013 - 1:28am

Yeah not a problem. I understand how it feels when your in the application process, so any questions are relevant.
Many thanks, I will be joining the Birmingham office for Audit.
Regarding the first interview, then I would suggest you read through ALL the forums on wikijob and list all the possible questions that have been asked in the first interview and then prepare examples for them.
My first interview lasted an hour and was solely competency based with 1 question on commercial awareness.The basic questions like everyone's stated before eg- give me an example of when you've given a presentation, shown leadership, handled pressure/deadlines, biggest decision and biggest challenge in life. They will ask for 2 examples for each competency so have the examples prepared. And relax, as long as you use the STAR approach and keep your answer as simple, youll be fine. Also, after each example I tried to add 1-2 sentences with what I learnt from it and how has it helped me. For example after a presentation competency question I said it helped me with my communication skills and has made me realise that to deliver an effective message across to an audience, it has to be concise yet effective and has to be delivered in a clear, confident way.
He didn't aske me anything regarding my CV. Apart from the competency 1s, he asked why audit, what do u know about it, the qualification, what youll do in your first year, and for commercial awareness he just asked a general question-what have you been following in the recent news. So just make sure you read up on something, I gave him the mandatory audit rotation news and that was fine. Make sure your relaxed, always smiling and trust me youll build a friendly rapport with the interviewer in no time.
With my partner interview, I was asked to give a 5 min presentation on auditor independence. After that I was asked questions on my presentation for 10 mins, 3 competency based questions and then half an hour on my uni, course, generally why audit again. No commercial awareness question was asked but that I had prepared 1-2 news as different partners are different in approach. You are not required to know everything recent in the news, but Id suggest reading Financial times a week before your interview, and research on 1-2 news that you find interesting. That would be sufficient.
I've tried to outline everything I remember and good luck with your interviews.

22 July 2013 - 2:01am

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate itt! and i'll keep you informed on how it goess!

22 July 2013 - 4:55am

Congratulations on getting through, maz91! Are you in for the Sep 14 intake?

22 July 2013 - 3:06pm

Hi,congratulations on your job offer. I am currently asked to finish the e-tray test. Would you please tell me more details and techniques to pass it? Many thanks.

23 July 2013 - 10:54am

I had applied for the sept intake 2013 while I was in my last year of uni last year. However, while I passed my first interview in mid-Jan, I was told that vacancies in Birmingham had been all finished and so I chose to defer my entry to 2014. So its a good thing your all applying early. Im not fussed either, gives me a year for travelling now :)
Also, I come from a Biomedical Science degree and have not had any relevant work experience in an auditing/accounting environment at all. As long as you prove by your answers you can fit into the deloitte environment and are determined to do the ACA qualifications to become an auditor, your pretty much fine because your provided training.

Regarding the etray exercise, I completed it 7 months ago so I don't exactly remember the specifics. Youll find a lot of experiences on the other forums. However what I do remember is in the first part, the email exercise, make sure your in a quiet location where you can concentrate fully. Open up all the tabs that contain information for your questions that will appear as emails in mcq forms. I spent the first 10 mins going through all the information and trying to remember which information was in what. This helps you as it saves you time when you have to go back to the information when answering the questions. Don't panic, I think the time is adequate to complete the email exercise. I did mine with 5 minutes to spare, just try and answer every question as they come because certain questions are linked to the same information. But obviously, if you do find yourself really stuck on a question, then do move on. I think there were 20-21 questions all together.

The second part of the exercise is writing a business report . You'll receive a link to this a day or 2 after when you complete the first email part. Your given all sorts of information and data for 3 companies, and you have to write an email basing your decision on which company for your company to acquire. Again be time conscious, I did find myself to complete the task right at the last second. My advice would be to look a the information very very quickly - 2 minutes, write a 2-3 line intro, make 3 headings for the 3 companies and a 2-3 line conclusion ( for the company you think is best to acquire) even before writing the main content. Then, for each company give 2 short paragraphs each. One for their Pros and one for their Cons. Obviously the one that you think is the best, stress on its advantages and compare its cons with the other 2 in a way that it sounds to be the best. Theres no right or wrong answer, as long as you prove your choice to be better by your analysis, your fine.
Because the task is time pressured, I remember making an effort in not to make any spelling mistakes and being correct in terms of grammar as I wrote along. You wont get time at the end to check your work. This is very important because I believe if you have more than 3 spelling mistakes, you will fail the task. There is no spell check there. So as I say, be very simple and to the point ( saves you from making any spelling mistakes), just pick up 2-3 valid pros and 2-3 cons and write them down for each company. If you dwell too much on the information and start writing a lot, you'll fall short of time. Good luck with ur etray excercise;)

24 July 2013 - 1:59pm

Hi Maz, congratulation first for your offer!
I just passed the etray for the tax in london office, and I would like to know what shall I expect in the first interview.

1, Will there be a group exercise? Any case study request?
2, How many interviewers will there be?
3, Will I be interviewed by someone from the tax service line or someone from the HR?
4, Will they retest the previous online test on the interview day maybe? I saw someone mentioned that here.

Sorry for so many questions! Look forward to your help. Any more information or advices regarding to the interview will be highly appreciated!

24 July 2013 - 3:33pm

I applied for audit. If the tax interview procedure is the same as for audit, then you wont get no case study etc. Just one interviewer and that too a manager from the service line. The 2nd interview is done by a partner. I certianly wasnt retested for the online tests again and havent heard from ny1 being retested again either. Ive mentioned my first interview experience above in my post....

24 July 2013 - 4:45pm

Thanks Maz:) You are being very helpful! I will read through your previous post first!

Btw, will you consider passing the etray and get the interview as not far away from the offer maybe?

24 July 2013 - 5:03pm

Hi Maz, another quick question.about presentation for the partner interview,were you asked to prepare in advance of the interview or got the topic on the interview day? Use any ppt to present or simply talked things through to the partner?

Thanks!

24 July 2013 - 5:03pm

Hi Maz, another quick question.about presentation for the partner interview,were you asked to prepare in advance of the interview or got the topic on the interview day? Use any ppt to present or simply talked things through to the partner?

Thanks!

25 July 2013 - 12:30am

No problem. Yes, from my personal experience once you've got past the etray stage then the ball is in your court. You have ample time to prepare for the interviews and protray ur personality in the correct manner. Its nly a major mess up that can cause you to b rejected. Preparation is key.....be urself nd give it ur best.

Regarding the partner interview presentation, your given the topic beforehand (when you get the date for it). Deres no projector etc, so u hav to give ur presentation just by talkin it out. Its nly a 5 min presentation, so pretty much just covering the topic breifly yet effectively. U just gota make sure u know wat ur talkin about incase your asked about it later. You can make a handout for the partner and I did that.

25 July 2013 - 2:38pm

Hi Maz,

Your comments are extremely insightful so thanks for starting this thread.

I have just completed the second part of the Etray - the written exercise. I found it very time pressured and managed to get down around 350 words with brief pros and cons for each option plus intro/ conclusion.

Would be great to get your thoughts on this. Also, In your opinion, How many words do u think is the minimum?

Thanks in advance.

25 July 2013 - 2:45pm

Maz, thanks so much for your reply! You are being very helpful.

Just a quick questions here: I received the email from Deloitte yesterday that I've passed the e-tray, but so far I haven't heard from them regarding to the next stage, there is a survey right? Normally, when do I expect to hear from them regarding to the next stage and the interview?

Thanks!

25 July 2013 - 3:24pm

Hi Maz,

I also applied for 2013 start but have defferred to 2014 in London and am at partner interview stage and I was wondering how you went about getting your partner interview. Did you have to contact them or did they contact you?, and how much time were you given to prepare?

Thanks

25 July 2013 - 10:25pm

Jeeves - I think that should be fine. As long as your content was to the point nd mistake free. Im sure they realise that time is very less nd sometimes its difficult to even complete the report. So good luck mate.

Abc_0930 - the graduate recruitment team contacted me nearly 2 weeks after I passed my etray for a the first interview date. So deres no need to worry, especially as it will be a real busy time with all the applications nd stuff . Id suggest u email ur graduate recruitment contact to ask when you will b contacted for the interview.

Javs156- I emailed them on the 1st july as soon as the applications reopened and they contacted me back with a date 2 days later. My partner interviewer told me I was one of the first to get interviewed nd was certianly his first interview of this intake. So I suggest u contact them nd get ur interview sorted ASAP. The quicker it is the better for u as places start getting filled pretty early.

25 July 2013 - 10:28pm

Maz - Nice one mate.

27 July 2013 - 4:42am

Heard from Deloitte yesterday. Didn't clear the written exercise. :(

Wondering what I got wrong - I analyzed 2 pros and cons for each option and no spelling/grammatical mistakes, concluded well also. Any idea what they particularly look for?

29 July 2013 - 10:18pm

Hi, I second what maz91 said!! I'd found these forums very helpful. Would really like to help someone as I was in your position before aswell :)

I've also got an offer for Audit 2014 intake so please feel free to ask me anything maz91 hasn't covered!

30 July 2013 - 12:26pm

Hi Maz91 & e-stud,

I would really appreciate it if you give us some hints on the first interview and what kind of questions come up. Do they look for any particular competencies. Also, What kind of questions did they ask for the recent business news/ commercial awareness question

Thanks in advance

30 July 2013 - 12:28pm

Maz91 - Just realised that you answered this above. Thanks!

30 July 2013 - 1:42pm

Hi Maz and e-stud,

Another question here! I have passed the etray and answered the service line questionnaire last week. However, so far I still haven't heard back from them regarding to the first round interview. Do you have any idea how long exact do I need to wait before I could choose my interview date? I tried to contact them, but the number left on the website was not going through to recruiters. I also emailed the HR who is my contact in Deloitte, however, still no response. Any advices?

Another question regarding to first round interview, what sort of commercial/business awareness questions were you tested there? Similar to KPMG ones such as introduction to a recently company doing well or bad and reasons for that, current economy situation etc.

Appreciate all sorts of help for the first round interview:)

Thanks!

30 July 2013 - 6:59pm

sri- Im sorry to hear that. What you say you did seems to be exactly what I did. So I cant really comment further . Good luck with your other applications.

e-stud, did they tell you they would do all the pre employment and qualification checks including sending out the contract 6 weeks before starting date? That's what I've been told- so for now pretty much nothing happens until July/August 2014.

31 July 2013 - 11:32am

Hi, They asked me for a presentation on pretty much the same topic you mentioned but in the final round partner interview.
I cant remember the time between each application stage sorry :/

31 July 2013 - 11:35am

Hi maz91,

They did all the pre employment checks and stuff before my summer vacation scheme with deloitte, so I presume they don't need to do anything else for my graduate role. They did ask me again for A level qualifications which I sent them.

31 July 2013 - 3:45pm

Hi e-stud,

Can I ask which office you will be at?

1 August 2013 - 1:45pm

Hi javs156,

Up north, don't want to be too specific :P

4 August 2013 - 4:19pm

Hi maz91,
What topic did you have to do for your presentation, and can you give any advice on it?

8 August 2013 - 10:39am

Hello abc_0930

Hope your application goes well so far. I would like to ask you what is the service line questionnaire look like? what is the question type? Is this going to test me sth, or just collect more info. from me? Should I prepare sth first for this?

Thanks!!

9 August 2013 - 9:50am Premium member

Hi guys! Is anyone applying to the audit intake 2014? I sumbitted my application form a week ago and got invitation to do the service line questionnaire, and then today informed that I'll soon be arranged an interview. However, I haven't done any test yet, no numerical or verbal or etray....Is it normal for deloitte application process to invite ppl to the interview directly after application form submitting? haven't ask HR due to fear of getting rejected directly...

9 August 2013 - 9:55am Premium member

Hi hxjhjy201, I think the service line questionnaire is just simply for collecting information. It just asks 2 questions. the first one is to choose the work type you like most from three, which I think are consulting, audit, compliance or sth.. the second question is to choose what qualification you want to study towards. hope this helps

9 August 2013 - 10:40am

Hi hxjhy2011,
Thanks, I am still waiting for my first round interview...Have to say it jut takes so long! How's everything going on your side?
As to the SLQ, it is just choose an area you want to work in Deloitte tax, that has absolutely nothing to do with your application, you don't need to prepare for that:)

Are you also applying for tax or else?

Cheers!!

12 August 2013 - 12:32am

Hi wyzgz,

Did you previously apply for a summer internship and was unsuccessful? They may have fast tracked you.

12 August 2013 - 11:34am Premium member

Hi abz444,
Thanks. I applied last year for graduate role but got rejected immediately after application form submition, so it should not be a fast track i think. not sure what going on

13 August 2013 - 10:28am Premium member

Subscribing

13 August 2013 - 6:00pm

Do you know what the pre employment screening involves?

How many references did you have to give? Do they contact all your past employers? I have one employer who may not have nice things to say about me, so I'd prefer to avoid them being contacted.

Are you given a form to fill in for the background check company to follow up on? If so what fields do you have to fill in

14 August 2013 - 2:55pm

Anyone going on the Assessment Centre tomorrow 15.08.2013, in London?

15 August 2013 - 4:22pm

Hi abc_0930, I've applied for the Tax graduate scheme in the London office as well and I'm waiting for my interview as well. When did you submit your application? The email they sent me said that they were carrying out interviews in chronological order. I applied on 10th July and finished all the online tests by 26th July - still waiting. I've been preparing for the interview but really want to know when it is!

15 August 2013 - 5:06pm

Hey Guys
I jus had my first interview with Deloitte for audit graduate program (2014) @ Manchester Office. Wikijobs helped me a lot in preparing for the interview so i thought i would return the favour.

My interview was very structured. my interviewer had already written the questions that she wanted to ask me on her notepad. I know this because i could see the questions. she told me that she will ask me five main compentencies and for each competencies needed to give two examples. She then went on to ask me specific questions about each competencies.
Planning and Organising - Give me a time you had to plan an event? Give me another time you have to plan and organise something?
Communication. Give me a time when you had to do a presentation? Give me a time when you had to work in a team?
Goal Orientation - When have you achieved a personal goal? Give me another time when you have achieved a goal?
Commercial awareness and career motivation - What do you know about ACA? how prepared do you think you are for ACA? Why Audit? Why Deloitte? Tell me something recent in the news and the effects it has on a professional service firm such as deloitte?
Judgement - Give me a time when you have solved a problem? Give me a time you have made a big decision?

One thing i wasn't prepared for was the amount of follow up questions my interviewer was asking me. for example, for the presentation question, she wanted specific details about how i structured my presentation? who exactly was my audience? what i learnt from the experience? etc so be prepared for this. it is really had to prepare for follow up question but im telling you now so that it doesn't throw you off during your interview.

i should hear back from deloitte in about 3 working days. so hopefully i progress to the next stage.

If you do have an interview coming up. my main advise are prepare for 2 answers for each competencies and jus be urself on the day. i had a very friendly interviewer and i was able to crack a few of jokes with her. hopefully it was enough to win her over. good luck guys. if you need any more information about the etray or interview process let me know. i am very happy to help

15 August 2013 - 10:56pm

Hi,
I am also applying to Audit Financial Services and I'm currently looking over what I should know for commercial awareness. Do you know how much we need to know about the financial services industry specifically rather than audit and professional services? Thanks.

17 August 2013 - 7:12pm

Hi tolaosundina,

I had my interview this Friday and i'm waiting for my result, hopefully next Monday. It took me long before hearing from them about the first interview. However, they did offer some availabilities for the interview all of a sudden before I was ready for a space held, for example, the following day.....My HR contacted me two times, both on Monday. The first time was to set an interview the following day, the next time was this Friday.

As to the interview, I think I am lucky. However, who knows, I still might get rejected already : (

The Manager who interviewed me was so nice..He only asked me one example for each competency, donno why, probably I spoke too much for each example. And the whole interview last over 1 hour, probably 1 and 15/25 mins.

The questions he asked me were as below:

1, Teamwork/a presentation/leadership - I used an example combining the all three, probably why he only asked for one example. Make sure to prepare as many details as possible
2, A project you previously planned and organised - Not sure whether I remembered correctly, I think I did.
3, A big decision making example - I just used a very simple example...and I asked him later whether I could use another because this one was so simple, he smiled and said its unnecessary..
4, Why change my current placement - To those who haven't graduated, probably only prepare for why deloitte and why the service line would be enough.

Though he didn't asked about current news, however, I did talk about some news as examples in some questions, and he made extra notes, so I think it does matter. Make sure to read some latest financial news before the interview.

That's it! Really hope I could pass this stage...

18 August 2013 - 9:05pm

Thank you! I hope you get it - good luck!

Now I know exactly what I need to prepare for, I just hope they get back to me soon

4 September 2013 - 1:44pm

Hey @abc_0930, have you heard back from them about your interview? My first interview was pretty laid back but not sure whether that will work in my favour or not...

5 September 2013 - 6:37pm

whoever got an interview what a levels and gcse's (maths and english) did you get, and when did you submit the application form.

5 September 2013 - 10:37pm

Hi @tolaosundina, how's your interview went? I hope that you passed it!
My result was very sad - I heard that I passed it the following Monday and I was quite happy. I even asked to speak with the manager who interviewed me for advices for the final interview. However, the following Monday, my app was withdrawled because the HR lady told me that they cannot sponsor for a graduate position :( Yes, right before my final interview...Was wondering why they cannot inform me earlier or maybe later.. Was quite happy and confident with it, however, all I can do now is to hope there maybe a change. And also prepare for my EY interview really well..

Good luck to everyone! All in all, my application process with Deloitte was great! Definitely worth a fight and go!

6 September 2013 - 8:05am

Abc can't you please tell what gcse math and english grade you got and your a level results so I know if I have a chance of passing the application stage. Thank you

6 September 2013 - 10:06am

hi @haseeb448, sorry i didn't read your post earlier. i think you should refer to their requirements page :https://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/apply-now/academic-requir...
If you suit their minimum requirements, I do not see any problem at all. However, if you do, you may still get a chance. The best thing is simply to ring the Deloitte HR and you will get all you need I believe.

Hope that helps. Cheers mate!

6 September 2013 - 4:15pm

thanks for the reply, i meet the entry requirements but just about so what are they chances that my application will be accepted, and they they just look at your 3 a levels and not the AS level grade for the fourth subject when deciding.
thanks mate

6 September 2013 - 9:05pm

@abc_0930, I am so sorry to hear that you didn't make it through! Good look on EY though - I'm sure it'll work out in the end. My interview went well, I think, I really got on with the interviewer and built a rapport pretty early on into the interview - it lasted for 90 minutes though because we did get talking at the end. The questions were pretty much the same as everyone else has posted on the forums here, so I was given time to prepare for all of them. I had my interview on Monday 2nd and should have heard yesterday (Thursday) so now i'm getting a bit impatient! I'm really hoping that no news is good news